This is the second method you can use to view the BBC iPlayer.
This works with both PCs and Macs, but you only get 500 mb a month. I will explain how to get around that in this.
Also, I only have a PC, so I can only really show those of you who have PCs how to do this step-by-step. I’m sure it’s not very (if any) different.
- Go here to get to the download page.
- Press the “Download a TunnelBear” button at the bottom.
- Figure out if you’re using a Mac or a PC. This should not take long. Click the appropriate button. (Rocket science)
- Once it finishes downloading, run the program.
- Lie and say that you have read the terms and conditions, and press next/install/continue etc. until it closes itself and opens this:
- I’m going to go ahead and assume that you don’t have an account, seeing as you’re reading this tutorial, so check the “I don’t have a TunnelBear account” thingy and press next.
- Sign up.
- If you have a Twitter (WHICH I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND GETTING FOR THIS), type it into the appropriate box.
- This is where you must make a choice. You can decide to take the free route (which is way more work, mind you), or you can go for the one month pass for $4.99. To save yourself the pain, I would go for the month pass. If you go with that, you can stop here, and be happy for the month of January.
- If you choose to go the free way, continue onward. TunnelBear creates its own random little network (completely harmless, but sort of annoying), so just let it. Any sort of warning you receive that looks like this can be promptly ignored. Press continue anyway.
- Oh, by the way, go confirm your e-mail address! Make sure to check your spam folder if the e-mail isn’t there.
- Once everything is installed, open TunnelBear and login.
- From there, you have two options: Try to survive off of the 500 mb (which is highly improbable, by the way) or do the Twitter promotion to get the extra 1 GB for the month. If you choose the first way (I wish you luck), then simply switch the US/UK switch to UK and the on/off switch to on:
Once it is connected, it will look like this.
- If you choose to travel the path of awesome by doing the 10 second Twitter promotion, press the small “1 GB PROMO” icon in the bottom left hand corner (pictured above).
- The page will open in TunnelBear. Press “Tweet now!” and then insert your Twitter username. If you don’t have one, make one, then press “Confirm & Tweet.” Pressing that will open Twitter in your default browser. Just log in and tweet the provided message.
- Within an hour or so, you will receive an email to whatever e-mail address you used to sign up for TunnelBear, and it will confirm that they received your tweet and have credited you with the extra gigabyte.
- Once it has been credited to your account, you will notice that the number of mb you have remaining has been increased to 1500. Mine is below that because I was testing this out a few weeks back, by the way:
- Turn it on, switch it to UK, and you’re set to watch iPlayer!
- If you happen to run out of mbs, create a new account and a new Twitter, rinse and repeat.
If you need any clarifications, message me.